Independent Study is a method of earning high school credits via booklets or online instead of a physical classroom. Qualified HCDSB secondary school teachers evaluate course lessons, culminating tasks and exams. The credits you earn are the same as those earned at any secondary school in Ontario and meet the Ministry of Education requirements towards the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
What else should I know about Independent Study?
- It is typically designed for adult learners (18+) that are not able to attend day class
- Registration is ongoing from September to mid-March (you do not need to wait for a new semester to start!)
- All course work is done independently with access to the courses at any time
- Students must earn at least 50% on their exam (or culminating) in order to receive the credit
- All course work must be completed and submitted before the end of May
How do I register?
- Appointments are required to register
- Students must provide an updated Credit Counselling Summary or a transcript
- Please contact the Guidance office at 905-693-6676 to book an appointment
Click here to view an updated list of course offerings!Independent Study / Online Learning